APA is a nonpartisan, scientific and educational organization with a mission to advance psychology as a science and profession and as a means of promoting health, education, and human welfare. When appropriate, APA takes positions on policy issues that are relevant to this mission.
Before adopting any positions or publishing any statements, APA staff, in consultation with association officers, carefully screen the issue to ensure that APA’s engagement is consistent with our mission and association policies, that psychology has something meaningful to contribute to the discussion, and that there is benefit to the organization in getting involved, among other factors considered.
APA has issued public responses to four of the President’s executive orders and public statements. Here are the official executive orders from the White House and a news story regarding a statement by the president, along with APA's responses:
- Executive Order: Protecting the Nation From Foreign Terrorist Entry Into the United States
- APA's response: Trump Administration's Orders Pose Harm to Refugees, Immigrants, Academic Research And International Exchange, According to Psychologists
- Scientific Societies' Joint Letter to President Donald Trump: Read (PDF)
- Presidential Memorandum: Regarding the Hiring Freeze
- APA's response: APA Thanks VA for Exempting Health Care Provider Positions From Freeze (notes that psychology doctoral interns provide critical care to veterans and others)
- News article: President Trump Speaks in Favor of Torture, But Will Defer Decision to Sec. of Defense, CIA Director
- APA's response: APA Warns Against Reinstituting 'Enhanced' Interrogation (urges President Trump not to sign executive order)
Dakota Access Pipeline
- Presidential Memorandum: Regarding Construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline
- APA's response: APA Urges Trump Administration to Safeguard Standing Rock Sioux in Response to Memorandum on Dakota Access Pipeline
Wish to leave a comment? Please reply below, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org